Tuesday, 15 January 2013

How many people find themselves in January looking through their cupboards after the Christmas hoard wondering what they can use up?  Having looked on my so called baking shelf, I found that I had two large packets of coconut (stocked piled when cheap in Aldi) and two large packets of dates that a friend had brought us on a visit from Saudi Arabia.  If I had mentioned to the kids that I would be making a cake with dates, there facial expressions of disgust would determined the end to my baking that day, so what with Saturday being very cold, I thought I would entertain myself with some baking and find a use for my stockpile!  Hence a Date, Coconut and Chocolate Chip tray bake was made.  The smell was delicious as it was baking and the kids couldn't wait to have it..... they even added a dollop of cream!  I think though it is the perfect coffee cake (says she who is no coffee drinker), as it was moist and was still soft and moist the next day!

As this months Alpha Bakes hosted by Caroline Makes and The more than Occasional Baker, had the letter D as the challenge, this cake has fitted perfectly too in with their theme.






Date, Coconut and Chocolate Chip Cake.

1 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon cornflour/cornstarch
1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup chocolate chips



Place the chopped dates in a small bowl and cover with the boiling water.  Stir and allow to cool completely.  The dates will soften during this time.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.  Grease and baseline a 8 x 8 square tin.

Whisk the sugar, egg and butter together until pale and creamy. Mix in the flour,  cornflour, baking soda and baking powder.  Stir in the dates and coconut.

Pour into the prepared tin.  Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top and bake for approximately 25 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.  

Doubling the mixture will give a deeper cake.....but as I thought it would be just me and my hubby eating this, I decided to go for a flatter cake.  The kids have raved about this cake.....so another one will be on the cards soon!








2 comments:

Claire Justine said...

Wow looks great, I love cake :) need a slice of this...

Caroline said...

I know what you mean - my boyfriend says he doesn't like dates but I used them in a sticky toffee pudding once and he loved it! This looks delicious, thanks for sharing with Alphabakes.